Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Problem or Opportunity - No internet connection solution yet.

Today the plan was to go to AT&T and get the sim card set up for the USB Mercury device I'm planning on using with the netbook on the trip. Plans never go as planned right? I should start from the beginning of the plan. Way back in November I was looking at major carriers and figuring out how to get service during the trip. In looking at the coverage areas needed for the trip, I realized Verizon, my current phone provider, wouldn't have the same coverage as AT&T. ATT had much better for Alabama. So, in researching I went on the web and looked at the page for the Mercury, a cool little USB device that just plugs in and boom...your on the internet. Great, simple, easy and good coverage. Looks like the ticket.
I went to visit my brother and mom in Atlanta and stopped in at the local ATT store to ask about the idea and see what they thought. I spoke with a very nice sale rep who confirmed what the web page seemed to say. Yes, you can get it and pay by the month...$60. Ok..looks like its set and done, no worries.
Today, the plan died. First, I had to find an ATT store near me. About 40 miles away in Waynesville, the google map showed a store. Turns out that store is no longer and the Radio Shack is the only ATT store. Ok, I'll go talk to them. Within 2 minutes, I knew these were not the brightest bulbs in the shack so I quickly asked them where the nearest full size store was. They quickly told me Asheville. Fine, I'll drive another 40 minutes to that store.
Starting to get hungry and already tired, I drive onto Patten Ave where they said it was. Drive that road 3 times before I called my wife and asked for directions cuz I couldn't find it. Getting long winded so I'll shorten it up. More hungry, a little frustrated and hot, I found it.
I told the sales rep what I needed and she almost laughed. Truly, she almost laughed. I could see her lips curl up a little at the corners as if to say, "what do you think we are? We would never sell anything without a 2 year committment..how could you even think that?"
I told her that the website showed options of buying the Mercury device with and without a 2 yr committment. No where does it say a committment is required. No where that I could find. She almost laughed again and told me she had worked there for some number of years and she had never heard of that.
I left....
I was glad I left...
I wasn't happy.

Now I have a problem. Randy Pausch, the professor of the "Last Lecture" who died this past year was the eternal optimist. Before he died I listened to one of his speeches about turning problems into opportunity. Not sure if it was the Last Lecture or not, but here's a clip of one of them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYv5x6gZTA) At this point, I'm taking that tack. I'm talking with my brother, my hightek gadget geek brother, and will be going to Atlanta to see him this weekend. We'll figure something out. I'm also contacting several smaller companies that may be able to provide even better service. Who knows, maybe one will sponsor the project and turn this liability into a advantage? Who knows what the world holds tomorrow, but I do know that at this point, it will work out in some way. All we got to do is trust and do what we can.
More later.

No comments: