Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

2 Locks and a Mink







Tonight I'll be spending in Mississippi. Tomorrow morning I'llm ake the turn into the Tenn-Tomm Waterway, heading south. One nice thing is that I'll be facing south and won't have to paddle into the sun during the later afternoon. That's especially good now that I've lost my Native sunglasses. Bummed is putting it mildly. I seem to have bad luck with sunglasses and can't seem to hold on to them. I had been so concious so far, but as luck would have it, they are now gone. I can blame it on the mink. Isn't that what your supposed to do when someting like that happens?
Ihad just come through the second lock of the day. It was hot as usual and I had just battled the wind crossing the last part of Wilson Lake toward Muscle Shoals. I was tired nad cranky, There is about a 3 mile channel after the lock as it heads to Florence AL. The wind was still kicking my rear so I was paddling as close to shore as I could to find calmer water and what little shade the trees could afford me. The bank was lined with riprap and lots of industrial junk. Out of the weeds and in amongst the rocks I spied a small shape moving. It popped into a hole between 2 rocks just as I got a good look at it. A Mink!! Cool. The day hadn't gone very well so far, but this really brightened my mood. Out came the camera and I stayed very still, right up under the trees along the bank. Out it popped and snaked its way under the leaves. I snapped a few quick shots, but still hadn't gotten a clear photo of it. Cute little guy looking like a little brown ferret. Callie and Rye would have loved to see it. Heck, they would have loved to hold it. Anyway, it disappeared and off I went down river. A couple minutes later I noticed a spider on the bill of my hat. Spiders arn't my favorite thing and it had probably climbed on while I was getting a look at the mink. I quickly took my hat off and gave it a flip. Off went the sunglasses flying to the water. The boats momentum wasn't letting me stop and go back very quickly, but I could see the glasses slowly sinking. Finally, I stopped and reversed my momentum and reached the glasses just as they sank out of site. In hindsight, I should have jumped it after them. I was close to shore and easily could have managed the boat back to shore to get in. I was worried about all the junk in the water and along the bank too. In addition, I have a little, slightly infected spot on my foot from the sandal strap rubbing. I didn't want to get it wet. Btw, it's fine this morning. So...no more glasses. Bummed me out for acouplehours.
Back to the morning and why it wasn't a great day to start with. I awoke from my luxurious slumber at Wheeler state park at around 4:30. I didn't want to go, but still managed to get into the boat around 5:30. It was a mile or so to the dam and I wanted to get through the locks early. Disappointingly, the lock master wasn't monitoring his radio, or looking out his window. I hailed him on my vhf and waited. Nothing. I didn't this several times while floating in front. Finally, after about 30 minutes, he comes out and notices me. Stupidly, he asks if I wanted to go through and tells me to go to the end of the wall, which is about 200 yrds back. First time any lock had asked me to go that far back. Usually they just ask me to go off to the side, out of the way. So,off I go. Another 20 minutes and the gate finally opens. As I paddle into thelock I asked what channel he was monitoring..16 or 14. Most of the time, youhail them on 16 and they ask you to switch to 14. He said 16, saying he heard the radio keep coming on, but didn't see anyone. I wasn't happy getting out of the lock at 8:30.
My usual 8 before 8 goal had evaporated into 11 before 11. I knew it was going to be a long day. Out of Wheeler and into Wilson. Long, wide straight away with only a slight bend before I reached the dam at Muscle Shoals. The staights were 6 miles long and took a a couple hours to get across. The last one had the wind in my face and the boat moving all of 3 mph. Finally, at 2:30 I reached it. This lock operator was much more professional and locked me through fairly quickly. From there it was down the channel to Florence.
The river front in Florence was pretty cool. A small harbor with a marina is just after the bridge. Flags and what looked like a tower/torch marked the harbot on either side. The marina was moderate size and hot..way hot. Into the restaraunt I went...but it wasn't open. I found some shade which was still 90 degrees and read for awhile. I was drained, but the Dr Pepper did help. At 5 the restaraunt opened and in I went to get some ice water and check it out. The a/c felt glorious and instantly I felt better. A couple glasses of water and good conversation with the waitress were enjoyable, but the best part was the owner was trying out a new recipe for fried oysters. Coming up with a small tray, she asked if I woulld try a couple. Oh my! Good could not describe them. I ordered a baked potato with the works which went down in a heartbeat. I knew I would be paddling for awhile still and didn't want to take the time to cook later. The waitress was not only helpful, but said the potato was her donation to the cause. Awesome lady. I left Florence around 6:30 once the sun had started to go down and the wind had died. Feeling refreshed and energized I headed down river to 7 mile island. Beautiful section, but much different than those above. High bluffs on one side and sandy, lowlands on the north side. The paddling was easy and comfortable as I made my way down river over the next few hours. Finally, as the sunset and my headlamp and lantern attached I pulled into a suiutable camping spot. Nothing fancy, but clear, sandy shore with a flat spot for te tent. Exhausted I set up the tent, climbed iin and slept soundly inspite of the heat and no wind.

No comments: