Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 1 and 2 in my Wake

Ok, first, let me tell everyone that the Trip Tracker feature isn't in real time. I have to update my location and everything. I just put it on so as soon as I get done with this, I'll figure out how to update it. Its a great feature so hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

Now, Day 1 and 2 are behind me. Right now, I'm sitting in my chair overlooking a deserted stretch of the Tennessee River about 8 miles down from Ft Loudon Dam. Internet works, coffee in hand and I just finished talking to the family. Life is good at the moment.

Launch day was way surreal for me. I'm not a big fan of pomp and circumstance and wouuld prefer to slip away quietly. That being said, I really do appreciate all those that woke up early to see me off. It was a beyond great to see my Mom and brother come up the night before to send e off. Jeff, Eric, Tim, Amy, Scott...all thank you. It was difficult to see Callie shed some tears and feel her arms squeeze me with her hugs. Rye, stoic and pensive, I think wasn't sure what to do. I've talked to them several times and all is good for now.

First day, paddled across Lake Fontana which seemed more like work than adventuring. Mainly because I've paddled it all before and secondly because I needed to be at the end of the lake by 4 pm. Susan needed to pick me up to get me around the dam and didn't want to drive curvy..way curvy roads in the dark. As it was, I made it by around 2 pm, maybe even a little earlier. She and kids helped me load and unload on the otherside. The only downside was Callie throwing up all over inside my car...bright red bug juice and chips I believe. Once around the dam and driven to below Chilhowee, I loaded and set off with a full boat. Handled differently, but once up to speed, the extra 140 lbs wasn't much different. Campsite the first night was farther down than anticipated due to a generator for irrigation was right in the spot I'd planned on. No worries. A few miles down and found a good, grassy spot on the edge of the woods. Camp made, dinner of salmon fettucini alfredo with veggies and a little reading. Sleep by 9:15 or so.

Today I was up around 6:15,made coffee, loaded and took off. Planned on breakfast at Ft Loudon, about 8 miles down. Highlight of the meals were the Hawk Vittles Grits with Bacon, egg and parmesan. Wow, good! Cloudy, muggy day with glass like water and a solid 14 easy miles til lunch.

It was before lunch I met Chris and Grady. Chris was a delightful 50 yr old women and Grady was an obviously well brought up 15 yr old. They were puttering around in a little motor boat with their 2 dogs. They saw the graphics on the side of the boat ( courtesy of Getcha Graphics - Bryson City ) and were curious about the trip. We spent a good 5 or so minutes talking about the where's and whys of it. Great talking with them. They mentioned they may donate so good for them.

After lunch at a marina somewhere on Lake Tellico, I set off again. My back was a little stiff and the day was warmer, hence a little slower. Even still, I made it to the dam which was further than I expected. The afternoon was filled with boat traffic and monstrous houses with more monstrous boat houses. Lots of development and not near as nice of a lake as Fontana. The Ft Loudon dam and locks is the first locks I've ever gone through. The first of many on the trips so I was curious what that would be like. I pulled up to the entrance looking a little silly in my little red boat. After looking around for a sign, or something I hear over the loudspeaker, "Red Kayak, this is the lockmaster, I've got eyes on you. Are you wanting through?" I waved my hand and looked at the gates to the lock which were closed. He said he had a big boat coming through and to hold my position. I waited for about 10 minutes and the gates started opening. A big cruiser slowly made its way past me. I could almost see the smirk of the captain as he passed. I thought it was pretty cool.
I paddled in, the gates closed and tied off the the number 4 cleet. He told me to do that too. Nice guy. Came out to talk a bit and asked about the trip. He seemed like thought it was a pretty cool idea. Unlike most people I tell who seem to open their eyes a little wider and go, "what...all the way to where?"
Anyway, made it through and found some more life and energy on the other side. Paddled another 8 miles or so on the Tennesee River..yee haw. Hardly any boats, great scenery and more like what I enjoy paddliing. Stopped for a coke and moon pie at a little country store on the side where 2 guys were catfishing. Got the coke, no moonpie though. Had to settle for a little debbie oatmeal cake.
Dinner an hour later of chicken and rice with roasted chicken gravy and raisin/nuts. Not bad and more than I could eat.
Camp was more of an issue. I could find many places to camp, but when large cruisers come by, they throw up a huge wake that crashes against the shore. To stop for the night, I need to either pull the boat completely up out of the water, or find a cove to pull into. Tonight, I found a great, grassy and low spot with a concrete warf at waters edge. Typing from it right now as the sun is setting and my coffee in hand. Enjoy the photos, more tomorrow hopefully.

No comments: