Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's a Start

It's 5 am and the family is here to see me off. It's a little surreal to finally be starting on this journey. I began this project in September with no idea what was in store or where it would lead. The paddling trip has been secondary to this point, but now it is here. It's been a fairly successful project no matter the outcome from here. The money raised is modest and my hope is for more people to step up and help. I've said before that we're not curing cancer here, but maybe we're doing something more. Maybe this scholarship money can help fund someone who will go on to great things. Maybe we're investing in someone who will?
Raising scholarship funds has been one part. Telling the story of my father and the legacy he left behind has been the other aspect. Definite success there. How appropriate to be starting the trip on Father's Day weekend. My dad was a modest man, but his story of service through his Air Force and teaching careers has set an example of perseverance and goal accomplishments that set a high standard for others. The project has hopefully conveyed that well. Hearing from those who knew him and those who served in similar positions is an inspiration.
Now it's time to switch gears and start telling another story. 30 days from NC to Alabama is no small feat. At times my body will be tested and other times, my spirit. I'm confident with friends, family and God's support that I'll be successful. Over the next month I look forward to telling this story.
Thank you to all who have supported me and the project. It not only means a lot to me, but to those students who will benefit from your support. I'll be talking a lot about our fair community to all who will listen and gladly tell them of the generousness and warmth of all of you.
I'll post in a couple days, once my internet connection comes back on-line. Thanks for being there.

No comments: