Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Many Thanks...Where to Now?


Slowly I've been re-emerging and re-energizing over the last week. Mainly, I've been enjoying spending time with my family and friends, but I'm also really glad for the cooler mountain climate. Tomorrow, we leave for Belize to spend some time exploring of a different sort. The kids and Susan are looking forward to their adventure and for me, I'll go where ever they decide. I'll just be appreciate being there.

On the project front, a week to reflect hasn't defined where to go next, or even provided enough time to put it into perspective. In light of that, I would like to thank so folks for making this project a success. I know I've said this before, but the project had 2 main goals. One...to tell the story of my father and his service to family, community and country. Two...to raise funds in his name for our Swain County Schools Foundation. On both accounts, we have been successful. I was a watching Michael J Fox show titled, "The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist." I had to say I could relate to much of what the show was about, but one quote MJF gave really struck me as relevant and true. The quote is, "Do the next right thing." That's very different than doing the next thing right. In light of this project, doing the next right thing was the guiding principle in directing me. The goals just helped define what that was. At times, trying to do the next thing right didn't always work out, but as long as I kept trying to do the next thing right, it worked.
To that end, I have all of you who are reading this to thank. First, my wife and family, who supported and allowed me the freedom to keep moving forward with love and encouragement.
My sponsors, who, again, without their support, I would not have been able to have the absolutely right equipment to do this. The Nantahala Outdoor Center is first on that list of supporters. The first company to throw their support for the project and one that is part of the community that it benefits. I thank you for your unquestioned support for me, the project and the community.
Clipper Canoes, I can't thank enough. The Sea-1 was everything I needed and more in a high performance, expedition canoe. If anyone is planning on an extended trip and needs comfort, speed, ease of packing and access, as well as a boat that is pure pleasure to paddle, the Sea-1 is my first recommendation.
Bending Branches...wow! What can I say about your performance paddles. Your Sunburst XL 14 Carbon shaft and beautiful wood blade took all the stress I could give. Pushing off rocks on the Tenn-Tomm, knocking branches out of my way, banging on the boat countless times and not hardly a nick to be seen. It looks just like new still. Not only that, but at 17 oz, I never tired of paddling with it. I'm glad for the chance to represent you guys, appreciate the opportunity and will look forward to paddling anything you make. Thank you.
Northwest River Supply (NRS), who provided a much needed dry duffel, as well as some clothing and other equipment...thank you. The water tight, zip duffel was perfect for the boat. Well made, dry and easy top opening made the morning packing a breeze. TEVA, thanks for the foot support with the most comfortable sandal I've ever worn. Extreme support of their products and customer service make you guys top notch.
Astral Bouyancy and their V-8 jacket gave comfort and peace throughout the trip. Crossing large, wind swept lakes and locking through countless times were done with comfort and style. Even in the hot weather, it didn't make any difference to me since it allowed ample venting and never felt like wearing it made it hotter. I didn't even notice when I wore it.
Hawk Vittles was a great add on sponsor. Hawk, a chef by trade, applies his trade to great dehydrated meals that I look forward to every meal. A night, or morning, when I ate Hawk Vittles was always a thing to look forward to.
Lastly, I need to thank all of you who followed, donated, supported, watched, helped, assisted, cheered and got excited with me. My friends from Bryson City, NC to those in New Iberia, LA deserve a large thanks. Knowing I had your support, meant the world to me. The project was really about connecting communities to do something good. Your support went a long way toward great. Also, all my paddling friends from New Iberia to Bryson City and to those who have moved on to other parts beyond, it was especially great to have your support along the way. Old friends are always there and the re-connections made through this endeavor were special. I also made some new friends who lent their support and encouragement. Friends from throughout the trip and some from before it even started let me know of their support through email and facebook. Friends from Streamwood IL, Cottonport TN, Harrison Bay State Park, Chattanooga, Cleveland MS, Columbus AL, Hattiesburg MS, Decatur AL, and the many marinas where I was met with incredulity and friendship all deserve a salute. Your hospitality and assistance were beyond appreciated.
In closing, I want to say the project isn't over. The scholarship funds we've raised amount to a drop in the bucket. Its approximately $6,000 in donations and pledges. I'd like to continue doing something that brings the paddling communities together to support scholarships for our community. I've met a tremendous number of paddlers and friends through my time at NOC. Many have lived here, or lived here for many years. The success of a community, in my opinion is based on the diverse talents, contributions and willingness of all of it's members. Over the last 30 years of living here, I been a witness to the many diverse talents and contributions of our fair community. It can only get better through investment in it's future.
If you haven't contributed, please consider doing so. It doesn't take much, if we have many. To those who have contributed, thank you. Your generosity continues to astound me. Thank you.

No comments: