Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Attack of the Killer Beaver




It didn't really attack, but it might as well have. As your know, I get up early and on the water when it's still dark. Yesterday morning was no different. The cove I had pulled into was near the dam and lock, but as I pulled out that morning, headlamp turned on, I couldn't see much. The fog was drifting across the water and truthfully, all I was thinking about was gators and was I in the channel leading out of the cove. By the way, no gators yet and everyone I talk to hasn't ever seen one,but swear they are here. Anyway, as I paddle out virtually blinded I see something pop out of the darkness not 3 feet off to the left and just in front of me. Wham, it hits by boat and makes a huge splash. My first thought as I saw it was gator, but as it came along side my bow, I saw it was a beaver. After the little girl yelp escaped my mouth, and I looked around to see if any heard, I waited until my heart slowed a bit before paddling on. Nice way to start a day.
The day went well with happy paddling in the morning and bearable heat in the afternoon while I ducked in and out of the shade along the banks. The best part was at about 26 miles into the day. It was late afternoon and I had slowed considerably due to the heat. I hadn't seen many people all day, but fisherman anb families out in their boats. A few docks scattered along the banks as well. I had come on a group of nice houses with boat docks and could tell people were starting to get ready for the 4th. After a mile or so, I happened upon a group sitting on their dock obviously having a nice time. As I paddled near, they yelled for me to come over.
I ended up spending the next few hours with them. A big group of friends, family and kids, they immediately made me feel welcome and comfortable. Cold water and conversation while I told them about the trip and I learned about them. Reminded me of my youth when we would get together with aunt and uncles, cousins and the rest for summer outings at the lake in Lake Charles. Water skiing and eating with lots of story telling. Turns out they have about 200 lbs of crawfish for the 4th. I think I was a day too early! One of the brothers, Todd, is a crawfish supplier and has the wholoe setup to do it right. His brother James and a friend Norman made me feel like I knew them all my life. I was offered a place and shower,but sadly, I still had about 8 miles to go. With lots of picture taking, a couple sandwiches (killer chioken sald) and a couple gifts of t-shirts and a platter for crawfish with logo and all, I paddled on. Remember these folks if you pass through Cleveland MS. I know if given the chance, i'll stop in to say hello.
Today, I found a place with connection so wanted to eat lunch and write a little.

No comments: