Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Wrapping a few things up

The boat has been sent back to Clipper with a big thanks...the gear, well most of it, has been put away and the memories of long, hot days are being thought of with more fondness than the reality. The project has wound down into a remnant of the force it once was. It's difficult to believe that the energy and constant thought that went into seeing this project through has slowed to less than a trickle. While the energy on my end has slowed, the need to scholarship support still stands. Remember that donations are still very much appreciated and tax deductible.
Over the last month, I've had the opportunity to visit a couple of the civic groups that showed their support to me and the project. The Rotary Club of Bryson City invited me to breakfast and to tell the story of the paddling portion of the project. I had visited with them about a year ago where they welcomed me with enthusiasm and warmth. At that time, I was able to talk about creating the idea and my desire to do 2 things with it. First, to tell the story of my dad. It's not often we get to do that to a large group of people. Father, teacher and pilot were just a few of his personas and it was a pleasure to talk about these in terms of his service to family, community and country. When the subject matter is such a positive force, it's easy to tell the story.
The second purpose was to raise scholarship funds for our local students in my dad's name. Again, an easy decision for me and for many to support. For that I was grateful to all who supported.
The actual paddling trip from western NC to the Gulf in Alabama was a way to generate interest and spread the word to as many people as possible. It did it and more. In all it was a great promotional vehicle...sorry for the pun...to accomplish the projects purposes. After the trip, many asked if I had fun. I can't say I actually had fun, though parts were enjoyable and all of it went well beyond worthwhile.
Anyway, back to the Rotary Club breakfast. This time the speaking was much easier. The emotion of talking about my dad and the project's purposes was eased. I only touched on it and was able to tell a much easier story. The story of the paddling advenure and showing my appreciation. I've told countless paddling stories over the years, but mostly to other paddlers. This time, it was fun to talk about the specifics of how to do a trip like this. Where to sleep...what to eat...who I saw...and what I saw told the story of the trip. Great questions that really made me realize all that I've already forgetten. So, once again, thanks Rotary for the welcome and opportunity to do a little show and tell.
Later that same week, I spoke with the Bryson City Womens Club. A small group of about 10 of the nicest women you will ever meet. Just like Rotary, I had spoken to them before the trip so this time it was another slide show and stroy telling session. For many, just the camping for a month was beyond their experience. Add the idea of traveling from western NC to southern AL and it is a fascinating and frightening thought for them. My telling of the positive experience and personal stories of the trip surprised them I think. Story telling is something I enjoy, but I'm much more factual than a good story teller probably should be. Now, my wife...she's a good story teller, but thats another story.
So, the process has wound down toward the end. I always enjoyed the process as this idea came to fruition. I never thought it wouldn't happen and never thought I wouldn't get somewhere. At times, where it was going was in question, but mainly due to my wife's willingness and understanding I was able to step away for a month; an opportunity not shared by many. With that, the last people I would like to say thank you to are my wife and family. The last thing I would like to leave the rest of you with are a few of my favorite photos of the trip. I might try to post the slideshow presentation at some point, but for now, enjoy these.







No comments: