Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Monday, February 9, 2009

My Otter Friends


I went out for a short paddle on Saturday and got a chance to spend some time with these guys. The day was warm, in the 60's, but windy. I paddled down to a spot where I had seen about a thousand geese and duck in December. Saturday there were fewer ducks, but I did see something new. A couple river otters playing by the water. I spent about 30 minutes watching and taking photos and thoroughly having a hoot at their antics. I took this video after seeing them from a couple hundred yards away. At first I thought they were a single beaver. To get a better view, I crept along the wooded edge, staying out of sight until I drew even with the raised bank where I thought they (it) were playing. I drew even with them and crept up to the crest where I thought they were. Sure enough, there they were about 20 yards away. I believe it may have been a mating pair...you see the video and tell me what you think. I'm no Marlin Perkins, but the movements suggest a little amorous attention trying to be given. They finally saw me and took off into the water. They didn't disappear, but swam back the way I had crept. There they parked again on the dirt bank and rolled, played and nipped at each other. I walked in plain view of them until I was about 30 yards away. They were fine as long as I kept that distance which was fine for me. A great day of watching a couple of my favorite river creatures at play.

No comments: