Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Captain Hilliard Wilbanks, Medal of Honor Recipient


Saturday I traveled a couple hours south to Cornelia Georgia for the Memorial Ceremony of Capt Hilliard Wilbanks. Capt Wilbanks was a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient for his actions in Vietnam. He was one of only two members of the Air Force awarded this honor and the only one who was awarded it posthumously. I didn't know the family, or anyone other than my brother who met me, but I wanted to attend and maybe learn a little about his life. The anniversary of his actions is Tuesday, February 24th. February 24th is also my birthday. My dad had been in Vietnam for 10 days and I was 5 years old. My father also passed away 5 minutes past midnight on February 25, 2008. What does all of this coincidence mean? I have no idea, but I do know that on my birthday, I won't be thinking so much about myself, but about those in my life that have given me opportunities, lessons and experiences that have made me richer. I will appreciate those that I have and hold dear. I will also appreciate those that I don't even know and probably will never meet, but who have given a little of themselves, or all of themselves so I can enjoy my life to it's fullest. My belief is that we all have something to offer and maybe through this project, we can all offer a little of ourselves and combined, we can offer a lot to someone else.

The key note speaker for the days events was Jonathan Myers, a classmate of Capt. Wilbanks at FAC school prior to leaving for Vietnam. His words were eloquent and informative, as well adding to my understanding of the mission and objectives of the FAC pilot in Vietnam. An interesting footnote is that my Dad's footage posted in a prior post will be accompanying Jonathan's words in an exhibit for the National Vietnam War Museum. I was very glad to meet him.
The O-1 fly-overs were performed by members of the International Birddog Association. Members flying were: Dave Jester, Sam Dawson, Breece Nesbitt, Clayton Kerr, Dave Forrest and Charles Race. I big thanks to all of them.

1 comment:

Bill Hester said...

thank you to Trudi and Donna for their donations. It's very much appreciated.