Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Paddling for a Purpose Welcomes Teva


This week, I decided to add a video of a morning when I was working in Chile. This was probably one of the most frustrating moments that I ever experienced as a guide; and let me tell you, we had quite a few. Bob Beazley and I were on the 2nd day of a Chile Week of Rivers Kayak trip when the rains came. Our driver, from northern Chile had never seen rain...truly he had never seen rain since where he lived, it never rained. Anyway, I had told him to get the vans and equipment to the top of the road if he saw it was going to rain that night. It rained while we all slept. Next morning, we couldn't get the van, truck or equipment out. Our driver, Lucio said he woke up and heard it raining, but he thought he was dreaming so he went back to sleep. Chilean logic I guess :) . There we were with 10 guests who were getting restless...had paid a lot of money to go paddling that day...and were stuck in the rain and mud. They could only watch as we tried to figure out what to do. I haven't ever felt that helpless and frustrated. While being one of the most frustrating experienced guiding, it also turned out to be a high point for the guests. Just goes to show you that when it seems like your at your lowest, it matters most in how you deal with it. The video is our answer to being in the middle of nowhere and needing a tow-truck. Don't ask me how I was able to communicate with the poor farmer about needing to borrow his 2 ox to pull our van and truck up the hill. Also, the shovel in my hands isn't really a shovel...it's one part of a 2 piece paddle scooping 2 inches of mud off the hard clay roadbed. Enjoy.

On the project news front. This should be an exciting week for me. Kinda like Christmas early. First some good news in adding another project sponsor on board. Teva, maker of extra0rdinary sandals and shoes, as well as hats is helping out with some great footwear. Most of my gear has aged it's needing to be replaced. Actually, just about all of it is at least 8 years old...most of it older and well used. In order for this project to be successful, I knew that I needed to replace a lot of little things. Well, a lot of little things eat of the trip budget quickly. Every sponsor that has jumped aboard has been wonderful and much appreciated. Teva is sending me a sandal for paddling., the Open Toachi, and another pair for camp, the Mountain Scuff. Each should do the trick and provide some great protection and comfort along the way. Also, the sun is a huge worry for me, especially as I make my way south toward Mobile. For that, I'll be wearing their Desert River Rat hat, complete with full cape in back to ward off the sun.

Thursday, my Clipper Sea-1 should be coming in by Roadway. Keeping my fingers crossed since I'll be looking forward to a Saturday paddle on Lake Jocassee with some Paddling.net friends. Right now, it's in Chicago so I'm hopeful. Again, the folks at Clipper (Great Western Canoeing) have been great at communicating and helping the process along. Hopefully I'll be able to give my first thoughts on it after my paddle on Saturday. Weather...another finger crosser is predicted to be in the 50's. I can only hope all goes as planned.

Also, since I'm on the subject of sponsors. Bending Branches is also going to provide a kayak paddle, as well as the bent-shaft Premium canoe paddle. Much thanks! Since the Sea-1 is a hybrid, it can be paddled as a canoe, or a kayak with a simple seat adjustment. That was one of the selling points for me. I can paddle using a canoe paddle for long periods and not have my shoulders and back tighten and ache. But, the kayak paddle will be faster for the times when I need it. The paddles are both carbon shaft with the canoe paddle sporting a wooden blade and weighing in at 15 ounces. The Breeze Kayak paddle should perform stellarly. Carbon shaft and offered in 3 blade styles, I chose the Evening blade, 2 piece construction with a telescoping ferrule to choose any angle of off-set and length between 225-240 cm. Maybe they'll come in this week and I can give them a go along with the boat.




No comments: