Your Contribution is appreciated...Use the Paypal link below

You can donate in two ways. First, by using the Paypal link above. Or, you may send a check or money order made out to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation. All proceeds will go to the Swain County Public Schools Foundation no matter which way you choose to donate. The Swain County Public Schools Foundation is a non profit, 501(c)3, tax deductible foundation. You may make your check payable to "Swain County Public Schools Foundation", send it to this address
155 West Ridge Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713
and the Foundation can send you a receipt. Thank you very much.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

New Maps, New Support



The project keeps moving along. Len has put together even more maps and information about the route, and it looks awesome. Click on the images above and you can see the entire route for the Tennessee River portion and the Tenn-Tom/Tombigbee portion. Included on the pages are links and information about the locks, dams, reservoirs, camping and a ton of other interesting stuff. Unbelievable amount of info. There are now navigational maps, google maps and topo maps of the route.

A couple other support additions to the project as well. The coolest one is an organization of former pilots of the Vietnam war. The FAC Association has agreed to put the scholarship project in their next newsletter coming out in Jan 09. If you haven't read about the FAC's and what their mission was during the war, please take a look at this link.
http://www.fac-assoc.org/history/history01.html
There are other links about the plane they flew and other info on one of my previous posts. To have their support is an honor.

Also, Phillip Curry threw some support my way for the project. Founder and maker of not one, but two PFD/Bouyancy device companies. His previous company was bought out by Patagonia and now Phillip started and owns Astral Bouyancy www.astralbuoyancy.com. I'll be trying out their new PFD, the V-8 and I'm sure telling all my friends what an awesome product it is.

Lastly, some equipment needs have been met. I've been able to buy a VHF radio and a GPS. I'm sure the radio will be perfect. I'll have to figure out the GPS to see if it's a fit. I still have some other needs. My air mattress currently has about 5 minutes of inflation so that needs to be replaced. I'm still working on a laptop that will work for the trip and an internet connection. I won't be able to use wifi...not many places have that out in the middle of nowhere, but an internet anywhere card should work. I'm sure other needs will come up as I go.

ok...only more thing. I've been waiting to announce this to the community, but wanted to wait until I had more info in place. The election and financial issues are also taking center stage. Some, when hearing about it, have been asking why I haven't released this to the school and community. These are the reasons I haven't. I will, but right now I feel people's priorities are elsewhere. Once some of the dust settles, I'll be putting out press releases to the school and community around here and those my father was involved in.

No comments: